Monday 20 July 2015

Local government cuts visualised


Huge amount of work over at the FT must have gone into this report by Sally Gainsbury & Sarah Neville and interactive feature by John Burn-Murdoch on where local government cuts have fallen since 2009.

Looking at my own area of Ealing, adult social care and children's services have been particularly heavily hit.



I like the use of the middle 50% of councils as the benchmark, it gives context. At first glance I felt that the page was too samey and it frustrated me to have to read each title to see what the chart was.

But as I became used to it, I realised that the repetition of form was a benefit because once I had grasped it, I could easily compare all the numbers. If you use different types of chart then the audience has to work each time to understand the framework.

However, I do think some icons or other visual cues to what each chart was about could have helped to cut down on the title-reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment